Thursday, May 13, 2010

CUIDADO - este post has a graphic description of los banos




things I don't LOVE about Huaraz (only because I'm waiting for dinner, saving my book and Jordan isn't entertaining me)

1. the bathrooms in the inn. So I like the idea of being green and all especially in a rural poor community, not leaving behind any waste. That being said I'm sick of these bathrooms. they are dry-composting bathrooms which means they are separated into two sections: for liquids and solids which are then used to fertilize the earth (and ew, I just realized everything I'm eating comes from the gardens here, which yeah I know fertilizer is poo and all, but I'm still super grossed out.) Also, there is no flusher, just a hose and you have to throw the toilet paper into a little basket next to the toilet. The bathrooms stink. It's not horrible, but after day three it gets old. (what would a blog be without a bathroom update?)

2. Day one, when we went to the escuela my pants did not reach all the way down to my ankles and I got probably 40 bites on my ankles. they aren't quite mosquito bites, my ankles are the size of tennis balls and they alternate between being infuriatingly itchy and sore despite calamine lotion, after-bite and my aloe-socks (coolest things ever, thanks mummy!!)

3. That Jordan can't breathe, obviously.

but that is absolutely all the rest is amazing! I'm going to uplaod a picture of the toilet later for your viewing pleasure. In the meantime check out my mosquito bites, they're so gross!!

No comments:

Post a Comment