Saturday, May 15, 2010

You can learn something from everyone, not just people with no legs.

Yesterday was the best day ever. When we woke up Jordan was suffering from acute man sickness (cuz it sounds like acute mountain sickness, but funny) so we decided to high-tail it out of Huaraz para el supercama (which, if you read the previous post you will realize was unavailable sowe had to settle for peasantry.) We called a taxi and decided to walk out to meet it but it ended up getting in a horrible accident on the way up (because our mejor amigo Theo was otherwise occupied and sent his brother who did not know the perilous mountain route as well as our favorite taxista). So we ended up walking the entire 15 k into the town, stopping now and then to climb the occasional mountain and fraternize with what I believe were Condors.

It was the best walk / hike / outdoor activity I have ever done. Not only were we amidst the most gorgeous scenery I have ever seen, but I got to make friends with a whole array of burros (donkeys), sheep, baby pigs, cows, chickens and a whole lotta dogs. Also we got invited in for lunch by a bunch of toothless locals who had never heard of Canada (mas nord que los etados unidos). I also got to take the best pictures ever, except for the one of little naked kids swimming in a stream because Jordan wouldn't let me.

Oh and I got viciously attacked by a pero loco (mad dog) as we walked down. We were warned to carry rocks in case any of the dogs tried to bite us. I declined to do so, but Jordan obviously has no problem pelting animals with hard objects, which came in handy because he had to save my life from the crazy beast that narrowly missed my leg with his snapping fangs. It was actually really traumatic, the dogs didn't even let up when Jordan threatened to throw rocks at him and we had to run away screaming (mostly me) while they chased after us. After that I pretty much whimpered and cowered and made Jordan go in front of me whenever we passed any more dogs, which is pretty sad considering my love for canines.

All in all, greatest day ever. When we finally got to the town we booked our bus tickets and ate at our favorite restaurant where the dogs of Peru were redeemed by the cutest little puppy I have ever seen (Aside from Spen, obviously) He was chasing little kids on a bike, scratched his face on my leg, cuddled a woman selling bracelets and did somersaults down a ramp (all of which is documented by pictures, but it takes too long to upload them and I'm waiting for Jordan to get out of the shower).

Speaking of showers I have never been so dirty in my life. My hair is white from dust and dirt, I smell like Bob Izumi bug spray (and worse). We literally got onto an 8 hour long bus after a 4 hour long trek through farmland and mountains and mud, then couldn't check into our room because it wasn't ready and had to bum around the lobby. Luckily we checked into the Radisson (obviously) because the country life was getting to be a bit much for us. It's the first time we've actually seen real English-speaking tourists, normal breakfast buffet and CIVILIZATION!! in what seems like years.

He's out of the shower, I've never been so excited por banar in my life.

4 comments:

  1. what does the title refer to?
    The photos are amazing - I want to paint some of them!
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. the lady who ran the inn we were staying at was telling us about a war vet from Nam (so what, I was in Nam) who lost his legs and how she learned so much from him blah blah blah...hence my quote

    ReplyDelete
  3. me too a dog attacked me once~

    ReplyDelete